30 December 2006

First Picutres from Osaka

My first thought this morning after waking up was "my goodness, I can see my breath inside the house". Japanese house insulation is, it turns out, all it's cracked up to be (I apparently have accurate sources).

Not wanting this to be my only impression of Osaka I decided to head out and see what there was to see in the city. A walk down the hill to my local monorail station, several train transfers later and I arrived at Osaka Castle Park. If you're interested in the history of the castle the website will tell it better than I can. I'll have to go back another time though to see the trees when they're in bloom, or at least have leaves, and to see the museum as it was closed.

Afterwards I headed to the Minami area, for something to eat and to check out the shopping. The covered shopping arcades in the area are really something. Earlier today someone had suggested a few areas that were known for their shops and I had confidently said not to worry I could usually find the shops without too much trouble. Truer words were never spoken. The first store I wandered into is at least equal to Herrods in variety and extravagance. I now know where to go to buy my Channel suit and Hermes scarf. The whole area is street after street of shops and restaurants from that vary from the very high end to those more within my budget. It's noisy, brightly lit and crowded with people who span the fashion spectrum; it's quite a scene.

Below are some pictures from this first day.


No comments: