Just a few images from the Shinsaibashi area of Osaka which is a major shopping and entertainment area. The contrast from street to street can be quite remarkable.
As I was walking through this area this evening, as I rounded the corner I was remined something that I'd forgotten to mention previously but made a huge impression on me. Whafting through the streets over the past few days, especially as one gets closer and closer to the temples, is always incense. You know you're getting close to a temple, even if you are not looking for it, when you encounter the smell. As with candles, people purchase sticks of incense and set it alight at the temple. There can be hundreds of sticks burning at the same time and the sweet always serves to focus my attention in just one more way.
Just a few notes of explanation :
The Hozen-ji temple is built around the moss covered Fudo-myoo statue which is a favourite of people employed in the water trade who are know to stop on the way to work to throw water on the stone.
Amerika Mura, well really the whole area, the place to see the latest young Osakan fashion icons/victims. An area filled with trendy shops, among other things.
04 January 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment