17 February 2007

Another typical afternoon in Japan?

So first it was country and western on a Sunday afternoon in Osaka, now Annie the musical?!

So our school, perhaps I've mentioned before, is very well resourced. Apart from having a football pitch, a tennis court on the roof and a swimming pool we also have a fully functional theatre that must seat at least 300. This was the venue for the the All School production of Annie.

Let me tell you, it was the hot event this weekend. Ticket sales were over in a flash- reserved seats were sold out on the first days of sales; people were standing in the aisles. I should mention that this was not the only show. There were four showings of the play, all were sold out.

The play was very well done- good music, exceptional acting, a well staged production that ran like clockwork. And lets face it, they've been preparing for ages, it's fantastic that all the hard work and blood, sweat and tears (and that's just from the teachers involved) paid off. There was not a moment where you wondered when it might be over or it felt like it was dragging. For evidence I point to my little student who happened to be sitting next to me during the production. Though she is barely able to sit with attention during carpet time (15 minutes in the morning) she managed really well during the 105 minute production. But who can blame her? At one point in my life I knew this movie far too well due to my cousin's obsession with it when I was about 5; so there I was humming along with all the songs as they came flooding back to me.

Equally impressively (though making for twice the work) the production was double cast so basically every student who wanted to be a part of it could. What a great opportunity.

Anyhow, Annie in Japan on a Saturday afternoon? Two thumbs up.

No comments: