Three minor notes on today...
Well, it finally happened.
It was bound to happen one of these days. I ran into one of my students and her mom at the local shopping centre today. She was so shy, like she didn't recognize me, while her friend that was with them was more than happy to chat. I don't think that I looked that different except that I was wearing jeans and my glasses.
I didn't even realize they lived in my neighbourhood, though I knew two of my students live in the building accross from me. Two and half months in and this is the first time I've run into anyone at this shopping centre. I expected it to happen sooner. Then again all of the moms are stay at home moms (I think) and likely not doing their grocery shopping when I am. I have to say, though I have nothing against any of the other parents, I'm happy that it's these three who, if anyone, are living around me. I wouldn't mind running into any of them outside of school.
Another word in praise of Japan Post-
While somethings here are archaic and difficult (like banking) mail via Japan Post is not. Yesterday (Friday) there was an attempt to deliver a registered letter. Of course I was at school and not around to receive it. I did not notice the delivery notice until today (Saturday) at 5 pm. So I called the (English speaking) number right away and not only got through to a real person right away who spoke very good English, but was asked if I would be home to accept delivery tonight between 7 and 9 pm. In the two other countries I've lived in this letter would have been taken to a central post office and not been available for pick up until the following day. But no, this was delivered 4 short hours after I called to arrange redelivery, on a Saturday night at that. What service!
Cooking adventures
Just once I would like to set out to cook something and have everything I needed available. Today I set out to cook lasagne and although I had all the ingredients still had to go out to buy a baking dish that would fit in my stove. If it's not one thing, it's another...
10 March 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment