Day 1 - Bangkok
Yes, report cards are finished (they weren't as scary as I thought they'd be) and I've escaped from cold, grey Osaka and landed in the the colourful mayhem that is Bangkok.
I'm temped to hand in my notice now and just stay. The contrast between the two cities is quite something. One day in and I love it here.
Yesterday after a full day of travelling I landed on Khao San Road in Bangkok - traveller mecca of hotels, restaurants, market stalls on the street selling food, clothes and various other things , and PEOPLE. Yes, lots and lots of people. I haven't seen this many western people in one place for months. It's a little bit shocking ot the system. So checked in, found dinner and planned for the week. There's a whole little street lined with vegetarian restaurants- fantastic food. What more could a girl want?
Today, after wandering round the neighbourhood I caught a water taxi and then skytrain to Chatuchak Market - where literally you can buy anything. I would love to say that Bangkok by canal is a lovely way to travel but it's black and there's a reason why there are tarp sides to pull up when the boat gets going (to protect you from the spray). None the less it's an efficient way to travel; quick as it doesn't have to negotiate traffic and cheap (less than 30 cents). I have no idea how much area the market covers but it's massive. Hawreluk Park maybe? A CFL football field? People and stalls packed in so tightly that it's hard to move. Clothes, silk scarves and pashminas, home furnishings. Most of it so cheap. Fantastic shopping but hard to know where to start and after you've gotten going harder still to find where you started out! And foodstalls selling alsorts of interesting looking things under questionable food preparation standards.
I'd better just say now I know food can be a dodgy part of a holiday and make it less comfortable but it all looks so good and so many other people are eating it. I had a popsicle, and sticky rice with mango and coconut milk, which was divine, and there's a falafel stand down the road that I have my eye on... So far no problems.
But if there are there's a Boots down the road too, which sells all the things a Boots in the UK would and everything labelled in English so I'll be able to find a remedy. Very exciting. How, in Thailand can I find everything I need but not in Japan?? What a bad way to start off but I stocked up on things that I just can't find in Japan or that is rediculously expensive there (travel sized sunscreen for 6 bucks- I don't think so). And I was already overpacked, not good. (I think that I was so excited to see my summer clothes again that I didn't know where to stop!)
Okay, back to the shopping. After the market I headed back to the centre of town and landed at - a shopping centre. What a surprise! I meant to only take a quick look around before heading off to the Golden Mount for sunset (at that point I had lots of time) but again there were stores that I just can't find in Japan so I got a little side tracked and it was dark by the time I left. Needless to say, with a few more purchases...
The two shopping experiences were such a contrast. The first was ramshakled stall after stall of everything and anything packed in as tightly as possible and people jostling to get around in the outdoor heat. Then the, relative, calm of an air conditioned glamour shopping centre (complete with Gucci, Prada, you get the idea). Both with their merits.
Bangkok is just a vibrant city. It's a lot like Cairo in some respects, but with more colour. I didn't realise how grey it really is in Osaka (though the cherry blossoms were just starting to bloom when I left) until I came here and say the colour. Granted when winter's over and trees start to grow leaves it will be better but still.. It's a bit frenetic, but a good frenetic. Really, it's hard to describe.
Anyhow, below are some pics from this first day.
18 March 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment