01 April 2007

Bangkok Bonus

So my last day in Thailand I expected to spend either in transit, or waiting to be in transit from Ko Tao to Bangkok. The only problem with getting away from the crowds is getting back to them is not a quick task. My main daytime, wait time (3 hours) was to be spent at the Ko Samui airport, which given the pounding rain as the airport shuttle pulled in wasn't exactly an exciting prospect, though it would give me one last coconut at the airport bar (yes, people actually crack open coconuts, stick in a straw and drink, and not just tourists). However, thanks to the most passenger friendly airline, Bangkok Air, and their helpful standby desk I managed to get on an earlier flight to Bangkok (within 20 minutes of arriving at the airport I was on a plane) at no extra charge.

This meant that instead of arriving in Bangkok late in the afternoon I arrived early in the afternoon, early enough for some extra sightseeing. So after checking into the airport hotel I hopped in a taxi for one last fling with Bangkok. I was a little bit torn, making the most of my pricey, and very nice hotel - lounging by the pool in the leafy courtyard with a poolside bar, the promise of a beer and pizza deal.

In the end Bangkok won out, so off I went for one last sightseeing adventure to the Jim Thompson Thai House Museum. Jim Thompson is one of the better know expats who have lived in Thailand as he is credited for reviving the tradition silk industry. He moved to Thailand after WW II and loved his adopted country. He loved art and colour and wanted to revive the dying Thai silk industry so took samples of this craft and marketed Thai silk internationally. He built his house by transporting traditional Thai houses from around Thailand and joining them. so his house has example of traditional Thai architecture. As well he was a collector and his house contains important pieces of Thai art and craft. It's a very interesting house to visit. His life was interesting too with mysterious ending. About 20 years after he moved to Thailand he went on holiday to Malaysia and never returned. Though he was searched for no trace of him has ever been found.






After I took one last stab at the Bangkok shopping scene. Oh, how it was hard to leave it. Below is a pic from the main (indoor) shopping district, mind you the traffic is unusually light, but there you have it.



Later I had dinner at one of the hotel restaurants, Italian food. I feel a bit like a sellout for that but I'd eat lots of Thai curry while in Thailand and I figured that I was having something that would be difficult (or that I had yet) to find in Japan.

Anyhow most interesting. It was very quite at the restaurant only a few other tables. The table beside me was 3 men, and they were close enough so I could overhear their conversation. A bad habit but it was a very quite restaurant and they were right next to me. At first I could hear them talking about beds and such things but gradually I found that they were talking about a hotel, not any hotel but one that they were responsible for, for opening. It was in development and here they were talking about bed heights and bathroom fixtures. Really. I wanted to jump in with my two cents, based on my limited experience but managed to contain myself. They started talking 7 digit figures; clearly not my crowd. This was no budget option. The chef came out and paid particular attention to them too. He came out and asked me how dinner was, but them he had quite a lengthy conversation. It turns out they were auditioning him. Wonder how he did. I thought dinner was very good. A nice end to a bonus day.


No comments: