19 June 2007

Year End Picnic


What fun - 120 students between the ages of 4 and 12 at our year end school picnic in a local park. Fortunately the 60% chance of rain didn't materialise while we were there. The morning started off as a scoarcher but turned overcast partway through the morning, keeping the day considerably cooler and our kids more comfortable.

The main attraction at the park is as long slide that's like a giant roller conveyor belt, on which you travel at least a couple hundred meters down a hill. A lot of friction is generated on the slide so our kids brought random pieces of cardboard, etc. to sit on.

After talking to a few other teachers I was convinced that I should have a try to, so off I went. Camera left with someone in a prime picture taking location off I went with a borrowed piece of cardboard to have a try. It was (tentatively) fun, but once was enough. Unfortunately, the picture didn't work out so I had to have another go to get a picture to prove I'd been down.

While it wasn't my cup of tea the kids had a blast, and that is what's important. Even those who at first were hesitant soon got in to the act and were flying down the slide before not to long.

And that 60% chance of rain? Well, our class was the first class back to school so we didn't get wet, but the last bus load of children... Let's just say that after being at the park and all that entails, they had to take their shoes off at the school doors so as not to track mud through the school...

No comments: