The 3 stages of man (and woman too!)
1. He believes in Father Christmas
2. He doesn't believe in Father Christmas
3. He is Father Christmas
Yes it is Christmas Eve in Adelaide and though it's is not busy people definitely are stirring. I've moved from my slightly rustic, flat share type hostel in the burbs (complete with someone else's dirty dishes under the bed) on the beach to central Adelaide, conveniently close to the church that I plan to attend both tonight and tomorrow. What use was it being on the beach anyways? It never did get warm enough even to contemplate taking off my cardigan today. I realised this morning that Boxing Day was a public holiday and that getting into town for 7:40 when my train leaves, when the first tram is at 7.50, was going to be near impossible so I made the move into the predictably clean and well organized YHA hostel. It was nice being in seaside town but this is definitely more convenient, not to mention it has all the amenities like 24 hour internet and laundry facilities that you actually would want to use.
So what does Australia look like on Christmas Eve? Everyone's bustling around trying to get their last shopping bits done, but somehow it doesn't seem as frenetic as WEM on the 24th of December. I admit I did get lured into the shops for a bit but then went off to the South Australia Museum while everyone else finished up their shopping. I had actually meant to go to the Art Gallery next to the museum, but got distracted on the way. It's fairly small, relative to other museums that I've been in but has some interesting displays on an aboriginal tribe in northern Australia and Antarctic Expeditions (Mawson) as well as the usual animals from around the world and Aboriginal heritage displays.
Then great pizza for dinner - it should have been too. The place had won best pizza in the region for 4 years running. Yum, mushroom pizza with a great, foccacia (but thinner) like crust. This reminds me, not that it's any use whining to an Edmontonian about this, but it is is so relatively cool here that the restaurants all have their patio heaters going.
Well, should go rescue my laundry. Having to wash my 'warm' things already. They're getting lots of use.
Merry Christmas!!
No comments:
Post a Comment