03 February 2008

Breakfast for Dinner

I think my grandfather, and possibly all of my grandparents, would have been/be horrified or perhaps just slightly aghast at what I had for dinner tonight. Let me back track, I love breakfast foods, at all times of the day. Being vegetarian they are often perfect foods for dinner, if not because I never manage to make breakfast, because they are quick- everything from cereal to scrambled eggs to pancakes. I have many fond memories of breakfast too particularly eggs, bacon and fried green tomatoes. Oh how I miss bacon. And the eggs, well, I eat them regularly. But the fried green tomatoes are a treat and here we arrive at the quandary from tonight.

How excited I was when I found green tomatoes at the up-scale grocery store. Yum, I could already taste the finished product. How odd to have to purchase them though. Nonetheless this is what I've been reduced to for the past few years. I grew up around the gardens of my grandparents and we had tomato plants along one side of our house. It's a shame too because I didn't learn to like red tomatoes until at least my late teen years. Green tomatoes were not uncommon. Of course they were on the vine, but they also were prominent features on windowsills, waiting to be ripened and occasionally cooked. It is there that my (minor) guilt comes from. I love them cooked. But when I purchased 3 small green tomatoes for $3.50 to make fried green tomatoes it occurred to me that my grandparents would find this ridiculous.

I've never quite got the recipe down. I'm sure I've got all the ingredients, including the dry mustard brought all the way from Canada. Maybe it's the frying pan. I'm not sure if non stick is really best for this kind of frying, they need lots of butter. Or maybe they were always done after the bacon and cooked in the leftover fat? I'm just not sure. At any rate, they were delicious tonight.

No comments: