Well, it's a cold, partially snowy day in London today. My agency was hoping that there would be lots of supply teachers needed today because of the terrible weather but I didn't end up working today. It's all for the best really; it gives me the chance to post upload pictures from my latest adventures: York (at Christmas time) and Italy (February half term). Also, as Reed decided to stay cozy and warm at home I have added pictures to his photo album (Reed's Adventures in Europe).
Just to clarify for the hearty Edmontonians- a terrible day means that it was below zero this morning and there was a light dusting of snow. Really, for a country known for its terrible weather people here are not very well equiped. Yesterday it was -3 or -4 degrees with windchill and it was too cold to go out for morning recess or at lunchtime, though by lunchtime it must have been just above 0. However, I suppose if parents are sending their children to school in kneesocks then it would be too cold to go outside.
In short Italy was fabulous. For a girl who comes from city where buildings that are 80 years old are considered historic sights, being in a country where there are buidlings and remains of buildings that centuries old was amazing. I was in Rome for 3 days, Florence for 2 and Venice for 3. If you check out my pictures you will see exactly where I visitied in each city. Basically, if it was touristy and well known I tried to see it.
In Rome I saw the Roman Forum, Colosseum, St. Peter's Basilica and the Vatican Museums (that is I saw as much as I could in the 5 hours I had). Rome was fantastic for just wandering around because I enevitably came across piazzas, churches, buildings or ruins that I wasn't planning on visiting but were well worth a stop and look around.
Florence is quite a pretty city with its rolling hills and Tuscan architecture. There I lived on a diet of churches and museums and didn't wander aimlessly as much. (Except for a wrong turn en route to the train station on the last day. Fortunately I made it to the station but with mere minutes to spare.)
Venice lives up to its reputation as a beautiful city. I love to wander old narrow streets, and as that is what you have to do to get anywhere in Venice it suited me perfectly. Just wandering around and seeing all the canals was great and the vaporetta, water buses, were a fun, if expensive, form of transportation. However, I must admit that whilst in Venice and for my first few nights at home it felt like my bed was rocking me to sleep with the waves. In Venice I went to the major churches and musuems, but also spent a morning on Murano wandering in and out off all the stores and galleries admiring all of the beautiful, and not so beautiful, glass artwork and jewellery.
Highlights? It's too hard to pick. I saw so many pieces of artwork and places that I'd read about and were incredible to experience up close. In Rome I had just a huge sense of being connected to history. I probably had the most "fun" in Florence because of the people I met at my hotel. Venice had incredible atmosphere. The museums and churches were all inspiring to see, though I think I've had my fill of 17th - 19th century art for the year. It was all excellent.
What's next? Somewhere warm hopefully. Until then my travels will consist of going to the far flung corners of London each day.
24 February 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment