29 November 2006

The unexpected turns life takes...

If you had asked me 3 months ago where I would be at the same time next year I would have said Edmonton. When asked what my upcoming travel plans were I would have said with some confidence Lac La Biche, Calgary, Ottawa. Who would have predicted that within 3 months of moving back to Edmonton from London I would be preparing once again to move to another continent?

One month from today I will have repacked the 3 suitcases I moved home with and be on my way to Japan for a completely new and different adventure.

Teaching yes, but in a school the polar opposite to schools I've taught in before. And how's my Japanese you might ask? Non-existent at this point, but with that as a baseline things can only improve. But I just got back, how can I leave so suddenly (and it really has moved quickly)? Will I miss my family, friends and Edmonton? Yes, absolutely. Though I have to admit as much as I missed snow and Edmonton winters these past few weeks have cured me. Today it was -27, -40 with wind chill; I think I can safely say that I'm ready for a more moderate climate!

With just one month till I leave there are indeed many things to be done- sorting out my things, packing, seeing family and friends, preparing to teach kindergarten and visiting schools in Canada to do so, trying to concentrate on the job I currently have, trying not to have a one track mind and topic of conversation, (hopefully soon) applying for my work visa as soon as all the necessary documents are processed, not to mention preparing for Christmas. Whether I accomplish all my tasks or not I know this month will just fly by.

So as the children's game says "ready or not, here I come".

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's lovely to be able to read your notes about your travels to date. It's so interesting. I have printed these off and am going to take them over to Granny & Grampa's to read to them.

Love you
Mom

Anonymous said...

I guess next time I'll sign in as me! I'll give this a try....

Anonymous said...

One more time!