Yes, despite early issues getting out of Japan (but then again what would a trip of mine be without some departure excitement) I have arrived in Sydney safely.
The hostel that I'm staying at is a converted part of the train station and my room is actually a converted rail car. Fun.
Despite only getting a few hours of sleep on the flight here I hit the ground running, dropping of my stuff at the hostel before heading out in search of breakfast, sights and a few necessities that I'd (intentionally) neglected to pack, i.e. shopping. Ah, Sydney seems like a great city - lively, colourful, all sort of familiar amenities and people who speak English (well sort of). Today I basically just oriented myself with the city centre by wandering up and down the streets and, very exciting, I got a hair cut. I had been neglecting this for months while in Japan holding out for a English speaking stylist, and that's exactly what got - a Brit stylist. My hair looked so good too, until my massage and now it just looks all oily. I made a half hearted attempt at shopping for clothes, resisted the temptation to buy all the cute children's books in borders for my students/class and sat out at Circular Quay at dusk looking out at the Sydney Opera House and listening to street performers. All in all a good day. Tomorrow I'm off to the Blue Mountains for the day before heading to Adelaide on Saturday.
Although there's Christmas music and decorations (not to mention holiday length lines) all around here, it's hard to belive that there are just 5 days till Christmas. It's warm and sunny, not a snowflake, toque or block heater in sight. I wonder if Santa comes by surf board in Australia (or 4x4 in the outback)?
20 December 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment