So yesterday I packed up my room early in the morning (just barely making the 10 am checkout time) and deposited my things at the train station in anticipation of my next move. In truth I didn't really have a plan for the day, I was still smarting from my my beach time the previous day. So I did what any girl does (or perhaps just the ones in my family?) when they are not sure what to do, the perpetual fall back - I headed for the shops. Suprisingly though, for me at least, that wasn't as entertaining as I'd hoped. Perhaps this is because in packing that same morning I'd come to the realisation that I needed a 3 bag. Now as unsurprising as it was for me to have to repack at the airport on the way here, it was also unsurprising to me to have to pack up this new bag so close to my return home (eek!). Mostly at the moment it's just books. I've found some really winners that I don't want to let go of. I may not find them again. As anyone who's shopped for books in Osaka knows you can often go for a month without spotting something new on the shelves.
Okay back to the plot though. Even the after Christmas sales couldn't tempt me into shopping (well there was that one stop), I didn't want to venture too far from the train station
and given the boiled lobster colour of my skin I thought it best to stay inside with the aircon. So I headed to a movie, P.S. I Love You. A sweet chick flick but a little thin. The book must be better.
Anyhow after that headed to the train station where I was met with a pleasant surprise - there was no one else booked into my berth compartment so I had it all to myself. Lovely, all the room I needed to stretch out.

It's not quite Via Rail first class (of which I have fond memories of from a trip to Winnipeg) but they did leave a nice snack pack of sundried tomato pate, crackers and cheese to start the trip and serve breakfast first thing in the morning. Other than that it was a fairly unremarkable trip as it was at night and dark most of the trip. Oh aside from the suggestion I have to anyone else considering the Melbourne to Sydney overnighter. If you've over 5'8" you might as well save money and get a chair instead of a sleeper as you're going to be cramped either way. The bed was just long and wide enough for me.
So while sleeping I missed that we stopped a number of times due to engine trouble resulting in us being 2 hours late into Sydney. Well lucky that because it prompted me to call my B&B to let them know when I'd now be arriving at which time they realized they'd double booked my room. Now in November it was near impossible to find a room, but I'd found two and chosen this one. So when I got there the owners were clearing out of their room to give it to me for the three days. Nice, because there was no way I'd be able to find another room at this point in time, but not quite what I was hoping for. I've just spent 10 days sharing rooms, bathrooms and common areas with reams of other people. This was not what I'd signed up for, nor what I was paying for.
And I'm sad to say it but the thing I'm dissapointed with the most, though the shared bathroom runs a very close second, is not having a tv. All I wanted was a couple maybe two evenings of watching tv and just relaxing. I know most people go on holidays to get away from these things but I live in Japan and get a limited number of tv stations and an even more limited number of program options (CSI, Simpson, House or 24 anyone?). I just wanted a couple other options for a few days, especially the night before going home when I know I won't want to go out because I have an early flight. I've read at least 8 books over the past 10 days. I wanted some variety. Somehow accepting the offer to join the owners in their sitting room (which is now also their bedroom for the next few days) just isn't the same. Not to mention I can hardly pop in when I get home sometime past 11 tonight. Anyhow. I'll stop my whinging now.
It's still mid morning now though as my train got in at 9. So I show and change ready to hit the city. On my schedule for today - a tour of the Sydney Opera House and a wander through the Royal Botanic Gardens. Got sidetracked at tourist information listening, and then wondering, about New Year's Eve plans. Did you know that there were 1.3 million people in the harbour area alone last year? And they will spend $15 million on the fireworks? Crazy.
The Opera House is amazing. I was surprised, and maybe it's because I had few expecations of it, but it really is a remarkable building, especially up close. To be at the base of the famous sails was right up there for me with many other important landmarks. The tour took us through a number of the venues and went over some of the history of the building. It was great to get to see it without hoards of people so that we could appreciate it's size and detail.
Then on for a wander through the Royal Botanic Gardens. Someone is doing something right there. They are lovely, not grand, but a lovely place to be. I'm sure lots of planning has gone into laying it out in a particular way but it's hard to see, it just flows from one area to another. Firstly it's free to enter and there are gates all over the place. People use it as a walking and running path, as a throughway from one part of the harbour area to another and just as a place to hang out. If you can read the sign in my pictures. People were all around enjoying the beautiful day walking and picnicking throughout the grounds. It's definitely an oasis in the concret jungle.
After that I hopped on ferry and headed to Darling Harbour for dinner. Someone at work said that it's very touristy and she's probably right. It's all built up and new with restaurants and bars circling the harbour and it looks great. It's a very attractive place to be with a great urban vista when you're eating your meal on a sunny patio.
So that was Sydney for today. Tomorrow night is the big night. Let's see what that brings.
Oh, for these pics, if you want to see the labels move your mouse over the picture.
Reed's latest addition can be found here.


No comments:
Post a Comment